Humans in Geelong Expo 2019
A free community event with everyone welcome and something for everyone.
Sunday 6th Oct Deakin Waterfront Campus 10 – 3pm
The Uplifting start to Mental Health Month.
In 2018, attended by over 3,000, come and see why!
Hosted by Humans in Geelong at team of volunteers, our aim is to INSPIRE – CONNECT – STRENGTHEN our community.
10am Welcome to Country by Traditional Owners, Nikki and Norm Stanley on the didge TBC. Official opening by Mayor Bruce Harwood. Deakin VC Professor Iain Martin.
- Mental Health Week opened by CEO of Barwon Health, Frances Diver.
- Student writing competition winners announced
- 45+ inspiring exhibitors, artists, authors, social entrepreneurs, community groups including: The Piano Bar, PALZ Professionals with Alzheimers, Volunteering Geelong, Australian Multicultural Community Services, Cherished Pets, Children’s Book ‘The One that was different’ by Brooke Blaney (13), Life Activities Club of Geelong, A Fresh Legacy, Lifeline, WILD – Women in Local Democracy, Red Cross Blood Service, Aneurysm Awareness, Children’s Book ‘Ali the Shiny Sparkly Unicorn’ by Ali Villani, A Place of Calm Marion Ivermee-Villarosa, Liam’s Art, Ocean Minds, Enrico Santucci artist/photography, Extinction Rebellion, Girl Guides, EATSS, The Farm Next Door, Norlane Healing Hands, Cystic Fibrosis Geelong, Transition Streets, Sculptural fibre artist and Basket Weaver Caroline Hawkins, Artiskool Kaz, the Zonta Club of Geelong, The Type1 Foundation, Rotary, Shamana Seery Art and David Seery Caricatures, Geelong Sustainability, The Reimaginarium, GAWS Geelong Animal Welfare, Awesome Men’s Group, Gordon Arts Students Faye Valcanis and Sarah Karnis, The World Heart of Connection Mark Randall, Chloe Hayden, Elf Squad, Barwon Voices Community Action Group, Wombat’s Wish TBC, PT Transport, The Empowerment Challenge, Paint like Picasso, Villawood Communities, Quota International, Anam Cara, Geelong One Fire, River’s Gift.
- Floor plan of Exhibitors 2019.docx
- In the Foyer: Reimaginarium, Mindfulness Daniella D’Amore of Anama, Dragons Abreast, Elf Sqaud, Deakin Fairtrade, William Linford Art (exhibiting/painting on site in either gallery, foyer or courtyard)
- 12 thought-provoking speakers Full Speaker program: Humans_in_Geelong_Expo_Program_2019
- on a diverse range of topics including:
- Chris Lytas from ‘The Man Walk Geelong’ who is talking on: “Making people comfortable with speaking about the uncomfortable – why storytelling is key to normalising the conversation around Mental Health.”
- Note due to unforeseen circumstances Jesse Malthouse is unable to attend and talk at 11am.
- Note 1.15pm D2.205 speaker and topic change – Rory Costelloe of Villawood Communities – Introducing social and sustainable responsibility obligations for corporates in a world only driven by the share price.
- Cathy Roth talking about PALZ – Professionals with Alzheimer’s and Louise Day from Dementia Australia
- Chloe Hayden (Princess Aspien) talking on autism, creating a fairytale within your circumstances, and helping other people to find their happily ever after.
- A Place of Calm, decluttering by Marion Ivermee-Villarosa
- Laughter Club session by Phillipa Challis
- Human Library, Vlogger Jesse Malthouse, Geelong Sustainability, Mindfulness by Daniella, Villawood Communities, Alex Marshall Climate Activist.
- 10 uplifting culturally diverse performances including:
- With One Voice Choir, Medimime, Rachel Brennan and young songwriters, Macedonia Dancers, Indonesian Dancers, Lithuanian Dancers, Wild Moves Drumming by Jacqui Dreessens and La Vida Salsa Latin Dance Groups
- Full list with times below
- Fun in the courtyard, free facepainting, henna, apples, Geelong Crusaders Reenactment Society, CRAG – Combined Refugee Action Group conversation tent. Orange Sky Laundry van. Barwon Voices. St Leonards Men’s Shed making free take-home bird boxes with the kids (photo below, they are so cute!), Urban Upcycle running Crafts for Kids, Dame Edna Average with giveaways for kids, Dazzling Dan the Magic Man 10-12 (time TBC)
- Be part of ‘The Dance’ at 1pm in the courtyard
- sponsored by the City of Greater Geelong, Villawood Properties, Deakin University, Snap Printing Geelong, Multicultural Festivals and Events Grant
- Free HuGs
Courtyard Stage Performances:
10.00 Welcome to Country
Opening by Mayor, Deakin VC Professor Iain Martin, Barwon Health CEO Frances Diver
Writing competition winners announced, Book Launched
10.40 Biser Macedonian Dance group
11 With One Voice Community Choir
|11.20 Lithuanian Dance group|
|11.40 Widya Luvtari Indonesian Dance group|
|12 Medimime Rapunzel
12.10 Jack Treacy, 12, singing solo, also team member Kim Elise Cooper
|12.20 GSODA Junior Players
12.40 Wild Moves on the Surf Coast Drum and Dance
1.00 The Dance, led by Humans in Geelong, all welcome to be involved
1.15 Barwon Health: Celebrating our mental health promotion grants – Leo Coolhaas & Chris Mackey
|1.30 Rach Brennan
2.00 Bluebird’s Songwriters
|2.30 La Vida Salsa Latin Dance|
All of this has been made possible by our amazing and generous community sponsors.
and the Multicultural Commission of Victoria.